Acute cough and fever | Homeopathy Discussion Forums

Ask Questions about Health, Homeopathy, Medicine – Get Answers from Experts and Peers!




Avatar

Please consider registering
Guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —






— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Acute cough and fever
No permission to create posts
Topic Rating: 0 Topic Rating: 0 (0 votes) 
January 10, 2017
3:36 pm
Avatar
Ewa
Member
Members

Professional
Forum Posts: 22
Member Since:
March 22, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

15 month child who had bronchiolitis in August treated with antibiotics.

 

On Sunday suddenly came down with sudden dry cough and slight fever

Gave Bell 30 which didn’t help. Fever went to 37.5. Bell did not work, mother gave calpol. child irritable with cough. Bry 30 stopped the cough.

Yesterday no coughing but slight mucus in chest -no rattling or wheezing. Temperature fluctuating between 37 and 38. Anxious parents have been giving calpol and Ibuprofen.  Last night was sticking tongue out and eyes were red, head heavy.

Woke up with rapid breathing, fever did not respond to bell. Again more calpol.

Now there is expectoration and coughing started after breakfast. Now has cold as well. Yellow mucus in nasal discharge. Last night child puked food but since then has been thirsty and drinking alot but no more vomiting. 

Was clingy but is very thirsty. Has perspired twice but otherwise no sweating. Not many modalities.

Child being taken to the doctor. Any light on this case will help.

January 10, 2017
4:04 pm
Avatar
Shirley Reischman
CIncinnati, OH USA
Moderator
Members

Hpathy Team

Professional
Forum Posts: 190
Member Since:
December 13, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

What stood out to me was that Bell didn’t work, but you got some improvement with Bry, so why did you go back to Bell?  I would have given another dose of Bry. Also, what potency and why wasn’t the remedy repeated since it worked?

January 10, 2017
5:31 pm
Avatar
Ewa
Member
Members

Professional
Forum Posts: 22
Member Since:
March 22, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thank you Shirley,

 

I failed to say that yes the Bryonia 30 c was repeated once more and I had advised to stop if there was marked improvement. Since then, the slight muscus which wasn’t worrying has now developed into a full blown chesty infection with expectoration. I did ask them last night to repeat one more dose of Bry this morning. But my doubt was because the fever has continued to stay high and now the child also has a cold, rapid breathing and the cough which was worse for food with expectoration. The picture calls for another remedy?

I am waiting for some more modalities -the mother works so I only get quick phone calls.

I need to send out a remedy this evening.

January 10, 2017
8:22 pm
Avatar
Shirley Reischman
CIncinnati, OH USA
Moderator
Members

Hpathy Team

Professional
Forum Posts: 190
Member Since:
December 13, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

OK.  Unfortunately, colds and flus often need rapid changes of remedies.   If it’s a rapid fever, I think of Bell.  There are many remedies that could fit the case.  I won’t have time to work on anything until tonight, but when you get the modalities, please post them  The mother’s treatment with fever suppressor has only made it worse.  We want a good fever to knock it out.

January 11, 2017
12:42 am
Avatar
Ewa
Member
Members

Professional
Forum Posts: 22
Member Since:
March 22, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thanks alot, Shirley

As the child was with grandparents, there was not much the mother could report except that  the child had high fever this morning, started coughing at breakfast, had a couple of very loose stools.

Woke up at 3pm had some milk shake. At this time her temperature also shot up to 37. 8 and as advised by their doctor, they decided to just stick with Calpol everytime the fever went up. At some stage they had given her two doses of Bry 30.

She is fine now and running around but her eyes look red and drowsy, her nasal discharge which was yellow and thick yesterday is now runny and clear, there is still the sound of phlegm in her chest, not rattling. The fever is being kept down by Calpol.

She will drink whatever liquid is given to her. And her appetite is not that affected.

The one peculiarity is that she breaths rapidly with the fever and her breaths can go unto to 40 or over a minute and the breathing does come from the abdomen. The mother said that these symptoms resemble the time she had bronchiolitis.

I was thinking of Ant Tart which I have sent to the mother but because none of the symptoms appear particularly characteristic, I am waiting. 

January 11, 2017
12:52 am
Avatar
Ewa
Member
Members

Professional
Forum Posts: 22
Member Since:
March 22, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

How high can you go with fever for a 15month before they take action? There appear to be so many different opinions on this that it makes it difficult to advice a parent. The child was given Bell 30 four times last night when the temperature got to 38 but after an hour, when it didn’t go down, they gave her Calpol, so can’t blame the parent! 

January 11, 2017
5:49 am
Avatar
Shirley Reischman
CIncinnati, OH USA
Moderator
Members

Hpathy Team

Professional
Forum Posts: 190
Member Since:
December 13, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

In a child the fever can go up to 106 F without any danger.  In an adult 104 F.  Drinking lot of cool water will bring the fever down naturally.

It sounds like she is actually improving, so I would wait and see what develops.

January 11, 2017
3:32 pm
Avatar
Ewa
Member
Members

Professional
Forum Posts: 22
Member Since:
March 22, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Had a quick text to say the child’s fever is gone but there was rapid breathing last night and this morning and still some coughing and mucus. Without any modalities, I am not sure what to advice. This sounds like the symptoms she had when she developed bronchiolitis.  

January 11, 2017
4:06 pm
Avatar
Shirley Reischman
CIncinnati, OH USA
Moderator
Members

Hpathy Team

Professional
Forum Posts: 190
Member Since:
December 13, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

If this is the same as when she had bronchitis last time, give her whatever helped last time.  Look in your notes.

January 12, 2017
2:04 pm
Avatar
Ewa
Member
Members

Professional
Forum Posts: 22
Member Since:
March 22, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
10sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

She wasn’t under my care then. Yesterday there was still mucus building up in the chest with some rattle and wheezing so I suggested they start on the ant tart.

The fever now is down to 36 and the coughing has got worse but there is yellow mucus being raised. The parents now want something done about the cough.  I have asked them to wait.

January 12, 2017
4:04 pm
Avatar
Shirley Reischman
CIncinnati, OH USA
Moderator
Members

Hpathy Team

Professional
Forum Posts: 190
Member Since:
December 13, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
11sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

Instead of merely telling them to wait, explain that she is coughing in order to bring up the mucous out of her lungs, which is good for her.  They want to encourage it, not suppress it.  Once they understand, it will be easier for them to wait.  Also have them use a vaporizer.  It will help her feel better during the process and it will also help the parents feel like they are doing something to help, which in fact, they are.

January 12, 2017
4:29 pm
Avatar
Ewa
Member
Members

Professional
Forum Posts: 22
Member Since:
March 22, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
12sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

Oh Yes, I did explain that! I am having to explain the workings of homeopathy on a daily basis. They are anxious and hence want every symptom suppressed and this is causing some difficulty. Will suggest vaporiser, thank you! 

January 12, 2017
6:26 pm
Avatar
Ewa
Member
Members

Professional
Forum Posts: 22
Member Since:
March 22, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
13sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

The baby coughed coughed up much mucus which I thought was good but the fever continues to go high. When it gets to around 39 she has rapid breathing. Not many other symptoms. The fever is being kept down by calpol. Any remedy specific to rapid breathing with high fever?

January 12, 2017
7:25 pm
Avatar
Shirley Reischman
CIncinnati, OH USA
Moderator
Members

Hpathy Team

Professional
Forum Posts: 190
Member Since:
December 13, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
14sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

The rapid breathing is common having a fever.  She body is strong and she’s fighting the suppression.  It wouldn’t have to work so hard and she would recover faster if the fever weren’t being suppressed.  You may need to do some research to find some articles which talk about the dangers of fever suppression that you can show the parents.  Otherwise, this could go on for a very long time and if her body finally succumbs you will have a poor outcome on your hands.  Why did the parents choose a homeopath in the first place?  You are pulling in one direction and they are pulling in the other.  It’s weakening the poof child.

January 12, 2017
7:34 pm
Avatar
Shirley Reischman
CIncinnati, OH USA
Moderator
Members

Hpathy Team

Professional
Forum Posts: 190
Member Since:
December 13, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
15sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

** you don’t have permission to see this link **

** you don’t have permission to see this link **

In the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918, the only people who died from the flu were the one who were given aspirin to suppress the fever.  If the parents insist of suppressing the fever, I would walk away from the case and turn it over to an allopathic doctor.

January 12, 2017
8:03 pm
Avatar
Ewa
Member
Members

Professional
Forum Posts: 22
Member Since:
March 22, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
16sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

Thank you Shirley, 

The child’s fever goes upto 105 and is she struggles with her breathing unable to drink and so on and the parents panic. The ant tart is helping with the mucus. Should I be telling them to let her be even when it gets to 105?

January 12, 2017
8:22 pm
Avatar
Shirley Reischman
CIncinnati, OH USA
Moderator
Members

Hpathy Team

Professional
Forum Posts: 190
Member Since:
December 13, 2011
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
17sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

Yes.  106 is when you start to worry.  If they would let it stay at 105 for 24-48 hours, it would break and the child would recover.

January 15, 2017
9:28 pm
Avatar
Ewa
Member
Members

Professional
Forum Posts: 22
Member Since:
March 22, 2013
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
18sp_Permalink sp_Print
0

The latest is that the child’s cough has improved and the fever had come down quite a lot. They did get antibiotics but have not given it. No more communications and I am assuming that everything is now resolved.

Forum Timezone: UTC 5.5

Most Users Ever Online: 231

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

David Kempson: 775

drofart: 769

Manish Bhatia: 665

in need of help2: 373

Firuzi Mehta: 335

In need of help: 308

inquisitivegirl: 196

Elaine Lewis: 180

patti: 177

Surabhi Sharma: 164

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 27

Members: 4357

Moderators: 6

Admins: 2

Forum Stats:

Groups: 4

Forums: 17

Topics: 1553

Posts: 9066

Newest Members:

lawson parks, stanford diaz, Rebal ZEBIAN, vasavi, regis32, ritahax, medetkaorange, virginia paterson, eswar guru, manicka krishnakumar

Moderators: Alan V. Schmukler: 992, Rochelle: 197, David A. Johnson: 38, John: 18, Shirley Reischman: 190, Pankaj Titar: 7

Administrators: Manish Bhatia: 0, Hpathy.com: 0